Art & Culture
Getting Your Home Into The Christmas Spirit
December 03, 2019
As Christmas approaches, homes across the world begin to fill with the Christmas spirit, the celebrated spirit of giving, the giving of oneself.
There is no better place to begin giving than your own home. This is the starting point for a festive holiday season, so why not give your family some time and make decorating a bonding family affair. Turning your home into a Christmas haven will bring you closer together.
Retailers have been working overtime to help you spruce up your home, delight your senses and refashion your festivities. Expect enough light, warmth and beauty to transform everyday domestic interiors into rooms filled with holiday cheer.
Christmas balls are the classic Christmas decoration that can turn a simple tree into a permanent holiday symbol. These ornaments are even more beautiful when made from precious materials such as hand-blown glass, crystal or silver-plate.
Now that you have your tree up, it’s time to get those aromatic candles so your home not only looks, but also smells like Christmas. Candles come in a dizzying array of shapes, colors and scents, especially for the Christmas season. For an original festive look, try placing floating candles in the shape of Christmas trees and snowflakes in small shallow bowls.
To extend the Christmas spirit throughout your home, you can also decorate indoor plants with a few red and white birds and wrap a medium-sized red bow around the bottom of the plant.
Mirrors are another easy household item to decorate. Wrap garlands around large mirrors and add small berries and a bow to each corner of the mirror for color. On tables, you can make a simple but elegant display of pinecones arranged in a large bowl or platter and sprinkled with cinnamon or pine oil, so the scent of the season permeates your entire home.
Now that you have ornaments, candles and homemade decorations, your home is filled with beauty, light and originality. The only thing missing are those mouth-watering Christmas sweets. Humanitarian organizations make delicious and creative Christmas sweets. These centers make chocolate trees, Santas, as well as greeting cards and candy boxes, and beautifully decorated packages that make ideal Christmas gifts.
Whether you are decorating your home for Christmas or just displaying the traditional symbols of the holidays, the goal is still the same: to bring light and warmth and celebration into your home. So let the festivities begin and the spirit of giving emerge.
Christmas tree tips
For many people, decorating the Christmas tree is a favorite part of the holiday.
- Put indoor lights on your tree and only special outdoor lights for your outdoor decorations.
- Check lights for broken or cracked sockets, frayed or bare wires, or loose connections.
- Use no more than three sets of lights on any one extension cord. Extension cords should be placed against the wall to avoid tripping hazards, but do not run cords under rugs.
- Turn off all lights on trees and decorations when you go to bed or leave the house.
- Always use the proper step stool or ladder to reach high places.
- Read labels before you use materials that come in jars, cans and spray cans.
- Never place lit candles on a tree or near any flammable materials.
- Avoid placing breakable tree ornaments or ones with small, detachable parts on lower branches where small children or pets can reach them.
Christmas spirit tips:
- Send Christmas cards to all your friends and relatives; if you have the time, try making them yourself.
- An old sled, restored and decorated with holiday ribbons, can make an extra coffee table.
- On a table by the front door put little bags of treats with pretty ribbons in a big bowl and ask your guests to take a bag of candy, peanut brittles, etc.
- Make cookies, gingerbread houses, ornaments, anything with the children! Everybody will enjoy it and it will be a cherished memory.
- A big glass jar filled with colorful Christmas ornaments makes a pretty decoration on a table or anywhere else.
- Christmas music and movies add a special holiday feeling...